Monday, March 21, 2011

Days 5 & 6

Sunday we went to church at Lihue Ward. It was a good meeting, and afterwards the ward members sang Aloha Oe to us. It was very nice. We went for a relaxing afternoon walk along the golf course. We saw a bunch of these birds. Kayleen calls them Hawaiian Hene birds. The are like geese and the gander gets his dander up by hissing and chasing people away from the nesting females.
There is a walking path along the waterway. There are boat docks too, but no boats. We think the boating part of the Kauai Lagoons went bust, along with some of the Condos along the waterway.
On Monday, we got up early and drove to the end of the road. The bay was closed to snorkeling, so we went for a short hike. We were able to view the bay and the surf from 300 feet up.

I took a panorama shot of the bay to try to show the spectrum.

We sat on a sandy beach at Kapa'a for about 20 minutes listening to the surf pound along the shore. What a relaxing way to spend some time.
On the way back, drove to Wailea Falls.
After taking pictures that were readily available on the road, I did kind of a dumb thing. We went to the end of a fence, where the fence ended. There was a sign that said "Do not Enter - Hazardous Area." I entered.
I slid down a slope to some beautifully quiet water at the top of the falls. After taking a few pictures, I tried to climb back up. I hurt my back and my shoulder. I ended up pulling myself up by some tree roots and vines. Its a good thing the roots were there.
Kayleen has video. I will not post that here, that would be too humiliating, and condemning.

We have had a great time. We have relaxed and have seen some things we have never seen before. We didn't get in the water much, but it was rough and choppy.
We go home tomorrow. Sad to go, happy to be home.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

I told Gerald wrong the birds are Nene instead of Hene ... which is a goose. We really did have a wonderful time as usual. Except we did keep thinking how great it would be to have the grand kids and kids with us. Udder water, Udder leaf, etc.