Sunday, October 7, 2012

An Assignment from the Prophet

First Blessings

     One of the take aways from conference, is an assignment given us from President Monson, that we take an inventory of our life, and ponder the blessings large and small that we have received. In an attempt to begin this assignment, I want to record about some of the first blessings in my life.
    I was born in 1956 to two parents who loved and respected each other.  The only contention between parents I encountered, was in the home of my neighbors.  I had cousins come to visit us for the summers and to live with us as they worked in my Uncle's orchards. I found out later in life, that they preferred to spend the summer at our home, because of the peace that prevailed.  I grew up remaining very uncomfortable in the presence of contention.  Although we did not have much in the way of worldly goods, we had sufficient, and we had an environment of safety and love. 
     I was raised on a small rocky farm. This allowed me the opportunity of work. I bucked hay bales, milked cows (by hand) planted and hoes and harvested tomatoes, corn, potatoes and other vegetables.
I learned the disciplne and worth of hard work, of the Law of the Harvest, and of self reliance.
    When I was young, I remember my mother reading stories to us children from "Book of Mormon Stories" and "Bible Stories" I learned of the Story of David and Goliath and of Ammon's love for King Lamoni, long before I understood the necessity of faith and charity.  But when I began reading the Bible and the Book of Mormon for myself, I felt of the Holy Spirit, teaching me of the reality and Divinity of our Risen Lord.  The familiarity of the stories allowed me to focus not on the events, but on the principles being taught.  When the time came for me to go on a mission, I needed a swift kick in the behind.  I had not been as faithful as I had been taught.  Through a series of events, I began praying for direction in my life.  About the same time, I began reading the Book of Mormon.  I understand that it is not always miracleous for those reading, but it was for me.  When I would pick up the book, I was encircled in a pillar of spirit.  I would see the events as they unfolded on the pages.  I felt the pain of Nephi as he saw our day, that we would be bound with flaxen cords to be lead carefully down to Hell.  When I finished reading the Book 3 weeks later, I knew that the Book of Mormon was an inspired book of scripture, translated through the gift and power of God. I knew that Joseph Smith had been a true prophet of God, and that Harold B. Lee was a current prophet.  I had also acquired a deep desire to serve a mission whereever the Lord would send me.
   So although this is not all encompassing, it gives a foundation for who I am today.  I hope to write more.  But "way leads on to way" (Robert Frost, "The Road not Taken."

  





No comments: