Sunday, October 21, 2012

The blessings of Mortality

(This is a continuation of an attempt to inventory my  blessings, both big and small, as requested by President Monson)


A few years ago, my son was serving a mission in Russia.  I took it upon myself to make sure that I wrote a letter to him at least every week.  I started listing some of my best memories of mortality, but the easy and the hard, in one of those letters.  So I start this with some of what I wrote to my son, and will add to what I wrote earlier.




I had an interesting dream a few nights ago, that has been on my mind.  I dreamed I was boarding a bus, and I was going home.  I was so excited to be going home.  As I awoke I pondered the meaning and the spirit of the dream.  The excitement remains from the dream.  I don’t mean to alarm anyone, (I told Kayleen of the dream too) because I didn’t have the feeling that the bus for me was leaving imminently. I pondered my life and the things I have seen and experienced so far.  I was almost over come with gratitude at my life. I have been so blessed in almost every aspect.  I have been blessed with the opportunity to see the sunrise in the morning and the sunset in the evening.  To see the night so dark that I could not see a hand in front of my face, but to also see the moon so bright and full that it almost seemed as day.  I have climbed mountains and have swum in the ocean.  I have tasted fresh strawberries and cream.  I have seen the excitement of a new convert being baptized and seen the pain of a spouse as her husband was excommunicated.  I have seen the flowers bloom in the spring and picked tomatoes in the fall.  I have prayed so hard that I felt my spirit ascend into the heights of heaven, attempting to search out the will of God. I held my Dad’s hand as he slipped from this life into the next.  I have seen the excitement in my Grandson’s eyes as we walked in the cool of the morning.  I have sat in the temple as I have seen the future in a vision.  I have felt the necessity to repent, and the exquisite pain that comes from disappointing Father.  I have sat in a chair in the Celestial room and that chair became as a Heavenly Throne, Father letting me know that I truly belonged in that room with His Children. 
 
I experienced a son grow and mature as he served the Most High God as a Missionary for the Lord Jesus Christ, the most noble and dignified of all callings.  
I have held the lifeless body of my deceased granddaughter, and felt the peace of the spirit as He comforted us, and let us know that He had taken her to Himself.  I felt the gratitude for the spirit of unity and witness of eternity she brought, not only into my life, but into the lives of all whom she touched.

I have sat in disciplinary council as we sought to determine The Lord's will, to help one of his children return to full fellowship in his kingdom.  I experienced  a personage, {( think he was my deceased grandfather), visit and explain to me the necessity of physical pain in my life.  I have been given divine direction and council in my callings, letting me know that I was divinly appointed into the calling, and that He would support me in my efforts to move His Kingdom forward. 
 
I really have had a most wonderful and beautiful life.  This whole life is orchestrated and designed to give us knowledge, understanding, wisdom and experience. From those experiences come faith, strength, and character.  It is, after all, the character we build through those experiences that will determine my final judgment.  With all that I have done correctly, and all that I have done wrong, it was always my choice, my decisions.  Father has loved and persuaded me to do good, but has never taken the decisions out of my hand.  He has pushed me to limits I did not know existed.  But he has always, always given me more in experience and confidence through those trials than  my effort has cost me.







I Know that He has shown more confidence in me than I believe I deserve.  But I also know that He has been by my side to guide me the entire way.

1 comment:

Matt and Lecia said...

Thank you for sharing this!