Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tomorrow, tomorrow and tomorrow ...

Musings, is that a word? I turned 54on Saturday, having been born in 1954. That is an interesting relationship, so I will allow my nerdiness to surface. When this event happens for Tim, he will be 82, Michael will be 84 and Lecia will be 87. Phillip will only be 80, but Peter will be 5 and Gabreiel was three, or will be 103.
  • I share my birthday with Garth Brooks, Farah Fawcett and James Joyce. Sid Vicious (of the Sex Pistels) committed suicide on this day in 1979 - he was 21 years old.

Some interesting, or strange things about 1954 are:

  • In February 1954, the Salk polio vaccine was first given to children in Pittsburgh, PA.
  • Earnest Hemmingway was awarded the Nobel prize for Literature.
  • The Supreme Court rules in Brown vs. Board of Education to end segregation in public schools.
  • President Eisenhower proposed the interstate highway system.
  • The New York Giants (now the San Franciso Giants) won the World Series; Cleveland Browns was the champian of professional football; Alan Ameche from Wisconsin won the Heisman trophy; and Sports Illistrated published its first issue.
  • The Pledge of Allegiance was modified to include the phrase "under God," as in "One nation, under God, indivisible."
  • Tuition to Harvard was about $800 per year, postage was 3 cents, a new car was about $1,700. and gasoline was $.22 per gallon.
  • Some of the best known movies from 1954 are "On the Waterfront", "Dial M for Murder", "Rear Window", "White Christmas", and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."
Of course, I was pretty much unaware of these events, as I was a new baby. My first recollection is running to the diaper drawer, getting a diaper and laying it out in the hallway, and yelling for someone to come and change my diaper. (Yes, I really do remember this.) I also vividly remember Wally's first Christmas, where we rolled the old pink crib into the living room so that he too could enjoy the holiday. I remember going to Grandpa / Grandma's Golden anniversary party, but I did not remember that Wally was born on that day. (August 28, 1957)
I remember not being old enough to go to a movie with my siblings, and waking up in the white crib when they came home. I remember Mom going to California to a funeral and our cousin dying while Clark was there.
So here I am in 2008, 54 years old. Where will the world be in another 54 years?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you... Happy birthday.

Jamie said...

That was very fun to read. And happy belated birthday from the cowboy wannabes in Wyoming!

Matt and Lecia said...

daddy... you are old. Brown vs board of education??? Yeah, you are old. But I love you!! Happy 54th!!