Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thespis is in the House

A few years ago, I watched an episode of Sports Night (In my opinion, one of the best written sit-coms, EVER!) about a mischievous ghost that plagues performances. The glitches of this day brought to mind that Thespis apparently works to undermine the efforts of mortals to make a good show.

Today we had Stake Conference - the one where we get a broadcast out of Salt Lake. Five minutes before the opening song, we lost the feed. It had worked fine for General Conference, and worked okay for the test this morning. But the satellite dish lost its mind and couldn't find the source signal anymore. So we sang some songs. We had a huge congregation so when we sang "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning," it was amazing. We had people with tears because of being able to participate. About 30 minutes in, we got an audio feed over the internet. Kayleen had to leave because the sound was loud with poor quality, and the screeching was hurting her ears. It was a good conference, but other than Pres. Packer, I'm not sure who were the speakers. But they were pretty good.

Then tonight, Kayleen and I gathered to watch the CES fireside. Lo and Behold, I don't speak Spanish, and BYU channel was broadcasting in Spanish. So I put in the DVD and watched the Sports Night episode.

President Packer told us that that we should expect tribulation, that the prophecies are now being fulfilled, but I didn't expect paranormal interference from the Greek ghost Thespis. Anyway, instead of Bishop Burton, we watched Sports Night, just to get caught up on the role of Thespis.

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

By the way I did listen to conference but in the kitchen where I could turn the sound way down....I can't hear somethings but loudness and certain sounds bother me or put my teeth on edge. It was a good conference inspite of the difficulties. I did enjoy the evening with my husband.

Matt and Lecia said...

I'm sorry that you had so many difficulties... But Sports Night is a pretty good way to end the evening if you can't watch the fireside!