Monday, April 6, 2009

Teachings for our time

One of the responsibilities that I have, is to choose 5 of the conference talks to be used in the Teachings for our Time. I also get to assign topics for Sacrament Meetings. I have a list, but would welcome any thoughts you may have.

I like to view Conference as a time to hear what is on the minds of the Prophet and the Apostles. That gives us a very good idea of what kinds of things we should be focusing on. Of general note, there were several talks that covered the protection that comes when living gospel covenants. We heard about the blessings of temples in our lives. We heard about service and the blessings that come from adversity.

I have not yet discussed these with the Ward Council, but here are my preliminary picks:
Teaching for our Times (4th Sunday Priesthood / Relief Society Lessons):
Dieter Uchdorf - "I am Doing a Great Work, and Cannot Come Down."
Dallin Oaks - Unselfish Service
Jose' Texieria - Freedom to Choose
Richard G. Scott / D Todd Christofferson - Faith and Protection from Temple Covenants
M Russell Ballard - Learing Lessons from the Past

Sacrament Meeting Topics:

David Bednar / Gary Stevenson - The Blessings from the Temple
Jeffrey Holland - Standing by the Savior, (or, You'll never have to walk alone.)
Henry B. Erying - The Blessings of Adversity
Robert D. Hales - Resisting Debt and Addiction
Dieter Uchtdorf - The Pathway to Discipleship

So - I welcome your thoughts, your comments, your suggestions.

4 comments:

Tim said...

The one that stood out to me above all others was President Uchdorf's in Priesthood. It is applicable on so many levels that you could have a couple of lessons from it. I thought you got the major themes captured pretty well.

Kayleen said...

I just know that I loved conference and look forward to six months of studing the talks given this weekend. Actually glad I don't have to pick. Every one has potential to change my life.

Andi said...

I have the blessing of teaching that lesson in Relief Society every month. One time the bishopric counselor let me choose the talks for the next 6 months for everyone, but I like it when he does it, because it's too hard to narrow it down to just 6 (or often 5).

Andi said...

I finally got our talks today from our bishopric counselor. FYI:
Pres. Monson - Be of Good Cheer
Pres. Uchtdorf - We Are Doing a Great Work and Can't Come Down
Elder Holland - None Were with Him
Elder Oaks - Unselfish Service
Pres. Eyring - Adversity
Elder Scott - Temple Worship