Thursday, December 2, 2010

Light vs. Dark

The Savior declared, "I am the Light of the World. He that believeth in me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
In DC 93, the Lord gives us 5 things to work on, and when we have done those 5 things, He promises that we shall "see his face..." The section then talks about how Jehovah achieved His current stature, by growing from grace to grace, until He achieved a fullness. We are then promised that we can receive the same blessings, if we grow from grace to grace until we fill the measure of our creation, just as He did. We are then taught that we grow and gain truth and light (A) as we obey. The devil tries to keep us from being obedient, and he therefore, taketh away truth and light (A) Vs. 31 - Here is the Agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man. Because that which was from the beginning is plainly manifest unto man, and they receive not the light. (A) Vs 32 And every man whose spirit receiveth not the light (A) is under condemnation.

Question ... Should light (A) be capitalized -at least in our minds ? Are we not really seeking to add Christ like characteristic to our lives through obedience. Is not this contrary to what Lucifer's goal? Has Christ been so plainly manifest, through the creation, through out history, and through the witness of the Holy Spirit, that we become condemned if we do not receive Him?

I am not suggesting that we change the scriptures. They are as they have been established.
Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

No changing the scriptures is out of the question and yes we do have to receive the light or receive Christ for by no other name can we achieve our goal. With how plainly manifest He is in our time it is disconcerting how many turn away. Let us seek the light.

mcewen16 said...

I like that you find questions of grammar and style in your spiritual searches, too, Gerald. Makes me feel a little more normal. :D The Chicago Manual of Style would tell you NOT to capitalize "light." They are of the "down" system of capitalization (says so right on the first page of their section on capitalization... :D) and believe that if it doesn't HAVE to be capitalized, to establish meaning or for reasons of respect, etc., then it shouldn't be. Obviously, I am of the opposite school. I believe in the "UP!" system of capitalization. When I write about things pertaining to the Gospel (see, there, I did it without intending to...), I tend to capitalize more often than I should. Gospel. Temple. Spirit (I know this is capitalized when referring to the Holy Ghost, but I sometimes refer to other, more "generic" spirits and, with a descriptor, capitalize them both - i.e. Spirit of Generosity). Anyway, I can get carried away, but my point is there IS meaning established by the capitalization (or lack thereof) of a word or phrase. Mentally, I find it very helpful to insert my own capitalizations into my study, not because the scriptures are wrong and SHOULD be capitalized, but because it helps me derive greater meaning from them. It also helps me prioritize concepts and principles. After reading this, you may rescind my comment about feeling more normal because I probably still think WAY more often about capitalization than any normal person should, but these are my thoughts on the matter.