Sunday, December 5, 2010

Miles to go, before I sleep

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

My mother used to quote this poem to us, sometimes several times a day. I think the poem gave her strength. She knew that there were places along life's path, that seemed to long for us to stop, to think, to ponder, and to perhaps lie down for lack of ability or strength. It helped her at times, to stop and to enjoy peace and beauty in places where we would not normally think of peace. And the poem gave her a reminder, that in spite of fatigue or conflicting options, the call of duty and responsibility moves us onward, towards fulfilling our mission.

I had a good day today. I met with several families for Tithing Settlement. But there was one sister that needed words of help and encouragement. I had felt that I needed to meet with her. My first question set her to tears. We talked of life, of imperfection and of parental duty. I saw some of my mother's fatigue. Yet this sister will go on, for she loves her children. I asked her to go to the temple, alone, without family or friends, and to just spend time with Father. The words that came from my mouth, that I had never before thought of, were, "As you help Father with His children, He will help you with yours." She has miles to go before she sleeps. She has faith and hope, and she wants the best for her family. She knows that she is imperfect. Where and how do we find the strength to continue?

The Master issued this invitation, "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matt 11: 28-30)

So we accept the invitation. We turn around and face Him. We strive to change our actions, our habits, and yes, finally, our character. As we try to live as He did, his actions become ours. His habits become our habits. His character becomes our character. And just as we have been "graven on the palms of [His] hands", we have the image of Christ graven upon our countenances.

That is our goal. That is our end, if we endure well the mortal experience. For most of us, we "have miles to go, before we sleep."

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

I know I have miles and miles to go before I sleep, I just hope I too can stay on the right road heading the right way because I am afraid that sleep comes sneaking up on us faster than we think with our mortal minds. Thanks